Friday, April 23, 2010

Reading Recommendations

Great reads are hard to come by.
Im very finicky and impatient.
Most books I love grab me fast.
If Im not head over heels after 100 pages,
chances are... I wont finish.
but When I do find a great read...
That story becomes a life lesson.
The Author...An unrequited friend.

You know who agrees with me?
Matilda.
Ever read Ronald Dahl?
Vhere are Zeeeeeeeee Cheeldrun?
That one was a Witches reference.
Sometimes I like to talk like the Grand High Witch.
I'm not sure what that says about me.


This lovely lady asked me to make a list
of recommendations.
I am obliging because
One. She asked and I like her.
Two. Because Im hoping when you (if you) leave a comment
it will be accompanied with your own recommendation.

Here's a couple of current favorites.
I'm too afraid to commit to a top 10 list...
so I'll just post a couple at a time
that I really, really love.

1.Open by Andre Agassi

open_cover

Oh my gosh. This book.
This. Fascinating. Story.
If someone were to disagree with me on this pick...
I don't know if we could remain friends.
This book is everything an autobiography should be.
And at the end... All you want to do is fight that much harder
for your dreams.
I haphazardly picked up this book at the bookstore.
I loved the cover.
That photo of him is so honest.
I read the first page and I was hooked.
Then I drove home and was grateful for all the red lights I hit
because it let me read another sentence.
It is so authentic.
The transition he makes from boy to teen to young adult to a more, complete adult
is the real story.
It's not a book about him, the athlete.
It's about him as a human being.
If this was fiction... he'd be the most superb protagonist.
Flawed; in the the most perfect way.

2.The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help

Law, Have Mercy.
This is an exceptional read.
This book was a total accident.
I picked it up and just like before... read that first page
and bought it.
Five pages into it... I stopped and looked at Casey
and said, ever so eloquently,
Holy Crap, this book is SO good!
And then I repeated that sentence
every other page.
This author's character development is probably the best
Iv'e come by, with the exception of Holden Caulfield.
Okay here's the thing with fictional writing...
(because I am clearly an expert here)
I liked the Twilight series...
I really did...
It's just so poorly written.
I'm sorry! Don't send viruses!
The characters are so weak.
I couldn't figure out if I loved Bella or wanted to smack her,
she just got so dang whiney.
and the Cullen family... It's like, I get it already...
Alice is sweet as sugar and the other one (cant remember her name)
is a gorgeous B word.
Way too literal.
Sorry that was a tangent.
Back to the Help... it's hard to believe these are fictional characters.
The author just knows them so well.
It's a book based in Mississippi 1962.
I couldn't even attempt to give you a synopsis.
Im so bad at summing things up...
Like you didn't already know that.
here's one from Borders.com

In Jackson, Mississippi, in 1962, there are lines that are not crossed. With the civil rights movement exploding all around them, three women start a movement of their own, forever changing a town and the way women--black and white, mothers and daughters--view one another.

Sounds good, huh?
It is! It grabs you from the first page
and the pace is like a dead sprint to the end.
No lull. No boring parts that make you want to skip
forward.
My friend Lisa said it inspired her to be a better mother.
Me too.
There's this part where one of the maids wants
the little girl she looks after (and loves like her own)
to understand beauty is on the inside
and to take pride and confidence in that kind
instead of the outward appearance.
So she reiterates to her over and over again.
That she is a smart girl.
And a kind girl.
I love that.
I always used to tell Ginger, Youre so pretty.
Now I say, just like Aibileen did...
You are a smart Ginger.
You are a kind Ginger.
You are a beauty-full Ginger.

Read this book. It's lovely.
And you'll catch yourself smiling
many times.

I'll post some more tomorrow.
probably.










3 comments:

Ashley Outnumbered said...

AHHHHHHHHHH!! Ali! I love you! Thanks so much! I chose The Help as my bookclub book this month, and I have the Agassi one in my book closet (unread). I will get on it!

Can't wait to see what else you recommend, and what some of your friends have to say!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

mel or kel said...

I also loved "The Help", and I think both Keler and I would love Agassi's. Thanks for the suggestions. If you like epic fantasy you would LOVE "The Name of the Wind" , extremely exciting and I can't wait for the sequal.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I was wanting to read Agassi's book but now I do more than ever! I actually went to school with his tennis coach's daughter. You follow that? :) Bollettieri Academy [now IMG] was right down the street from my house in FL and actually going there in a few days! Woo hoo, it's a sign I need to pick this book up for my trip!